Nester Thompson &
Over 70 Years of Legal Experience
Howard O. Thompson
Howard Thompson counsels private and public companies in many aspects of business, with a focus on corporate finance, corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, real estate, banking, contract law, solar, energy regulation, surety, and restructurings. He brings more than 36 years of experience to his business, banking, real estate, surety and energy practice. Howard has extensive experience in counseling clients, negotiating transactions, and documenting and closing a variety of contract matters, including real estate purchases, sales, leasing and mortgaging, as well other business transactions, solar construction and power purchase agreements, surety indemnity and collateral matters, and banking transactions. He also represents and counsels solar integrators and energy suppliers on regulatory, financing and investment matters.
Howard Thompson regularly works in the areas of mortgages, leases, real estate transactions, business formations, lending, secured and unsecured funding, contract formation and negotiation, solar and other energy projects, electric utility/supplier regulation and surety. He has advised real estate developers, solar developers, leading energy companies, banks, insurance companies, and companies in financial distress regarding development, investment, lending, loan collateralization, energy, and reorganization matters involving a variety of businesses. In his career, Howard has worked at moderate, large and small New Jersey firms, while also working extensively with in-house counsel (including banks, a Fortune 500 energy company, and insurance companies) on a variety of projects and ongoing matters.
Mr. Thompson brings a pragmatic, results-oriented approach to his work, which work has been noted by clients to be highly responsive and delivered with a high level of expertise.
Year Joined Firm
- New Jersey, 1983
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1983
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- PPAs and EPC agreements
- $170 million and $40 million public mergers
- NJ tobacco settlement bonds totaling more than $3.4 billion
- Commercial loans: real estate, asset-based, equipment and factoring
- Commercial real estate acquisitions and leasing
- LLC, shareholder, and restructuring agreements
- Asset Purchase and Membership Interest Purchase Agreements
- Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, New Jersey
- J.D. – 1983
- Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio
- B.A. magna cum laude – 1980
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Major: Government
Honors and Awards
- Rated “AV” by his peers as per Martindale Hubbell. This award is conferred by Martindale-Hubbell. A description of the selection methodology can be found at www.martindale.com/ratings-and-reviews/. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- 5.0 out of 5.0
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Jersey Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Sills Cummis & Gross P.C., Of Counsel, 2001 – 2004
- Meyner and Landis, Partner, 1987 – 2001
- Pi Beta Kappa